Possibly Effective for:
- AIDS-related diarrhea. Some research shows that taking the chemical SP-303 (SB-Normal Stool Formula, ShamanBotanicals.com), which is isolated from Sangre de Grado, seems to reduce diarrhea in people with AIDS-related diarrhea.
- Herpes outbreaks (genital and anal). Research suggests that applying the chemical SP-303, which is isolated from Sangre de Grado, directly to the skin is effective for treating genital and anal herpes simplex outbreaks in people with AIDS. However, it does not seem to be helpful for herpes outbreaks that do not respond to acyclovir, a drug used to treat herpes infections.
- Traveler’s diarrhea. Research shows that taking the chemical SP-303, which is isolated from Sangre de Grado, by mouth seems to be effective for treating symptoms of traveler’s diarrhea.
Insufficient Evidence for:
- Insect bites and stings. Early research suggests that applying Sangre de Grado to the skin relieves the symptoms of insect bites (fire ants, wasps, bees) and reactions to plants in a group of pest control workers.
- Treating allergic skin reactions.
- Cancer treatment.
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Lung infections.
- Mouth and throat ulcers.
- Stomach and intestinal ulcers.
- Bleeding gums.
- Bone fractures.
- A skin condition called eczema.
- Other conditions.